Tricks to Keeping a Series Organized
There really isn’t a trick, because each concept is so different. When I started writing the Pleasure Garden Follies series, I had no idea what it was going to entail, much more things needed to be organized. A simple thing as the color of a characters eyes, or the name of their abode can make a world a difference, and readers notices these things.
But how can you worry about those things when you have to make sure that all the characters connect, and the timing? Believe me, you will find a way to connect the dots. After the first few passes of the first book, it should be evident where the next one will go. Once that book is completed and you’re going through revisions, be sure to refer back to your notes that you made in regards to characters features, personal history, etc… It would be rather embarrassing if a reader commented on a detail that you missed during your editing sessions.
Some ways to keep track of these things is by using some of the following tools:
- Microsoft One Note – each notebook allows you to create multiple tabs, which is great because you can have one for each character.
- Microsoft Excel or any spreadsheet processor for that matter – use tables and tabs to keep your timelines, characteristics, and assorted notes all together.
- Scrivener – software program in which you create and store your book. You can create story boards and upload files to this too. I’ve heard many great things about this program.
- Writeway Pro – another software program much like Scrivener. I use this one, and I love it. I don’t mind admitting either that it was the best investment I’ve made in my publishing career too.
- Paper notebook/portfolio – yes, this method is old fashioned, but it’s what I used for my historical series. For me it helped tremendously having everything including my research in just one place where I can carry it anywhere.
Whether you’re a writer or not, most people keep lists or plug everything into their smart phone. How do you keep yourself organized? Is there some kind of new invention or software that I’ve missed? Feel free to leave me a comment, I’d love to hear from you.
READ about my series over at my website: http://laynapimentel.com/pleasure-garden-follies-series
PLEASURE GARDEN FOLLIES series is now available in print as Scandalous Affairs at the following retailers:
Create Space | Amazon (Can/U.S/U.K) | Barnes & Noble
Born and raised in Toronto, Ontario, Layna discovered her love of reading at an early age. When she isn’t devouring salacious romance novels or writing, she enjoys losing herself in researching ancient history and mythology, weaponry, and hiking. She lives in Northern Ontario, with her husband and two daughters.
Layna is a member of the Romance Writers of America, creator of the Romance Author at Large blog, and is a monthly contributor at 69 Shades of Smut. For updates on her upcoming releases, or to leave her a comment, you can find at: